Pets - Keeping you Mentally Healthy
Pets and Mental Health
If you already have a pet and
I ask you...Do you think your pet calms you down?
I don’t have to ask you to
post it in the comments, I know the answer already.
But for the sake of
statistics (multiple studies, multiple organisations), it has been proven that
over 75% of pet owners feel like their pets have helped with keeping them
mentally robust.
Before we got Catbury (the
feline that has staked her claim on my house and my family), even I could see
that the relationships we shared as a family were not half as strong as they
are, after her entry into our lives.
Here is how Catbury helped
with my mental health (and still does). If these resonate with you and your life with
your pet, share this post! Don’t keep the mental health benefits from those who
still don’t have their own four-legged therapist.
1.
Pets alleviate
stress
Studies have shown that pets help reduce heart rate and bring down blood pressure to normal baseline post a stressful event.
I have seen this happen in person, every time in our
house. My dad uses my cat to literally reduce his BP every time he gets worked
up. 5 minutes of petting and listening to that purring is all it takes.
2.
Pets improve mood
and help to fight depression
Research has shown that people with pets laugh more than those without one.
I can vouch for
that. The stupid antics and whimsies of my cat make me smile more than once a
day. When times seem hopeless, she has always provided a shoulder to cry on, as
long as I do not get any tears on her fur.
But very
honestly, I think pets can really help pull you out of those dark days simply
because of the purity of their love. Also, the fact that you can express your
fears and anxieties to them without being judged in return helps you on your
own way to healing.
3.
Pets reduce loneliness
Who doesn’t
crave constant attention? All of us love feeling loved and having a companion.
Pets make the finest companions with their unconditional love and want to spend
time with you. NO MATTER WHAT.
As long as you have a pet to look after and share some good moments with, it is hard to feel lonely.
A study
involving 217 people in the US has found that pet owners are less lonely,
exhibited greater self-esteem and were more physically fit.
They also
tended to be more socially outgoing.
If you know
of someone living by themselves, they might benefit from a fur baby looking out
for them.
4.
Pets improve well
being
Pets,
especially dogs encourage a fitter lifestyle by involving you in their walks and
shenanigans. Across different surveys conducted in the US, pet owners have
reported that pets bring them joy, pets comfort them, and pet owners seem more
satisfied with their lives.
Why
wouldn’t they be? Aren’t all our photo galleries full of the pics of our pets?
Don’t some of us obsess over our pet’s likes and dislikes? They keep us so
occupied just by merely existing.
I
know of so many clients who have increased their outdoor activities of
swimming, trekking, hiking and exploring after getting a four-legged in their
lives. They are awesome companions willing to share in all your activities. To
a dog, every idea that comes from you is a good idea. Cats might have a
different opinion.
5.
Pets and those
with mental health challenges
Therapy dogs. There is a reason why those exist.
Studies have shown that interaction with a pet increases oxytocin levels
in the brain. Oxytocin is the same hormone that plays a role between the
bonding of a mother and her child. With it, it brings a sense of calm and
comfort.
This
explains why therapy dogs could not only help people with terminal illnesses
but also help people with mental health challenges to be more in the
moment. And even you, petting them does
make you forget everything doesn’t it?
Catbury is
always my go to after a bad day at work.
Being a Vet
is a high stress job (and also the most fun job) because you are sometimes
responsible for the lives of so many innocent, pure souls. Managing anxieties
of pet parents while you try and alleviate the pain of your patient can take a
toll on the Vet’s mental health too!
But Catbury
does a super job of completely denying me affection when I come home from a bad day. I get
so occupied in trying to win her affection that I can feel myself calming down
while I’m at it. And all those reluctant kisses make it all seem fine.
If you don’t
have a pet yet, the best way to get that oxytocin fix is to get one. Stay
committed to your pet and you will find that it is the best thing that you did
for yourself. Your health, physical, mental and emotional.
Let them
take care of you,
Dr. N

Comments
Post a Comment